HARD TIMES

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

HARD TIMES

Postby peter yates » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:53 pm

LAST NIGHT I WATCHED A MOVIE I HAVE NOT SEEN FOR ABOUT 40 YEARS. WHEN I SAW IT IN AUSTRALIA FOR THE FIRST TIME IT WAS CALLED 'THE STREET FIGHTER,' BUT IN THE USA WAS RELEASED AS 'HARD TIMES' AND STARRED CHARLES BRONSON AND JAMES COBURN. ANYWAY I REALLY ENJOYED WATCHING IT AGAIN AND BRONSON'S RUGGED PHYSIQUE THAT IS A TESTAMENT TO WHAT PROGRESSIVE BODY WEIGHT CALISTHENICS AND CABLE WORK CAN DO. ALSO ENJOYED WATCHING HIS NO NONSENSE COMBAT MOVES. LOOKING AT BRONSON YOU KNOW THAT HE COULD REALLY DO THE BUSINESS IF PUSH CAME TO SHOVE.I ALWAYS LIKED BRONSON AND HIS PRESENCE. INTERESTINGLY COBURN ALSO HAD A MARTIAL ARTS BACKGROUND HAVING TRAINED UNDER BRUCE LEE WITH FELLOW ACTOR STEVE McQUEEN.
SPEAKING OF BRONSON THERE IS A MOVIE OF THAT NAME ABOUT A MAN WHO CHANGED HIS NAME TO CHARLES BRONSON AND IS NOTORIOUS AS BEING THE HARDEST PRISONER IN ENGLAND. ANOTHER OF MY FAVORITE ACTORS, TOM HARDY TOOK THE LEAD ROLE. ANOTHER MOVIE STARRING TOM HARDY WORTH WATCHING IS 'WARRIOR.' HE REALLY GOT INTO GOOD CONDITION FOR THAT ROLE.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Re: HARD TIMES

Postby DannyBoy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Charles Bronson is one my all-time favorite actors, he was definitely one of the greatest (& most believable) tough guy actors ever. Hard Times is one of my favorite Charles Bronson movies, awesome movie with a great cast; Bronson, James Coburn, Strother Martin, Robert Tessier, Bruce Glover, & Jill Ireland (aka Mrs. Charles Bronson). I understand that the movie was titled Hard Times here in the United States rather than The Street Fighter because of the Sonny Chiba martial arts movie The Streetfighter (which is awesome too) that had been released just a few months prior.

Anyway, Charles Bronson just looked rough & tough and I've read that he did most of his own stunts/fighting in Hard Times. As you mentioned Peter, Bronson really did have a great, rugged physique (and he was well into his 50s when he made Hard Times). I've seen movies he appeared in early in his career during the early to mid 1950s when he was still billed under his real last name (Buchinsky) and he had an outstanding physique, particularly for the era. Robert Tessier was a well built man as well and he was always good at playing tough, intimidating bad guys.

Here's a cool photo of Robert Tessier training with Vince Gironda:
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:02 pm

HI DANNY,
THE FIRST MOVIE I SAW CHARLES BRONSON IN WAS 'HOUSE OF WAX' WITH VINCENT PRICE' IN WHICH HE PLAYED IGOR. NOT MUCH OF A SPEAKING ROLE BUT AS YOU SAY A FIRST CLASS PHYSIQUE FOR THOSE OR REALLY ANY TIMES. YES ROBERT TESSIER ALWAYS MADE A GOOD VILLAIN AND JILL IRELAND OF COURSE WAS A HONEY.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:21 am

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
THE FIRST MOVIE I SAW CHARLES BRONSON IN WAS 'HOUSE OF WAX' WITH VINCENT PRICE' IN WHICH HE PLAYED IGOR. NOT MUCH OF A SPEAKING ROLE BUT AS YOU SAY A FIRST CLASS PHYSIQUE FOR THOSE OR REALLY ANY TIMES. YES ROBERT TESSIER ALWAYS MADE A GOOD VILLAIN AND JILL IRELAND OF COURSE WAS A HONEY.
REGARDS, PETER.

Ah yes, House of Wax is a horror classic and I've seen it multiple times, though I've never seen it in 3-D like it was originally released. Vincent Price is another one of my all-time favorite actors, he had one of the greatest and most distinctive voices in movie history. Anyway, the first time I saw House of Wax (which I guess was back in my late teens) I didn't even recognize Charles Bronson to be honest. It wasn't until I viewed the film's IMDb.com page that I realized Igor was played by Bronson.
DannyBoy

Postby sticksb » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:24 pm

The film captured the bleakness of the depression . Bronson was very like a Kurosawa
samurai character . Shows up, kicks ass , realizes he can't change , splits . Great music and
some breath taking fight scenes . The overhead shot of the cage fight with bald Bob where
he throws the 3 punch combos , drops him and he get's up and says " you're pretty good ."
Solid entertainment with Coburn's wise cracking hustler and Martin as the junkie handler.
One of the first films I bought when I purchased a VCR .
sticksb

Postby DannyBoy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:50 am

sticksb wrote:The film captured the bleakness of the depression . Bronson was very like a Kurosawa
samurai character .
Shows up, kicks ass , realizes he can't change , splits . Great music and
some breath taking fight scenes . The overhead shot of the cage fight with bald Bob where
he throws the 3 punch combos , drops him and he get's up and says " you're pretty good ."
Solid entertainment with Coburn's wise cracking hustler and Martin as the junkie handler.
One of the first films I bought when I purchased a VCR .

Hmm.... I never thought of that, but that's a great analogy, Sticks! As soon as I read it, Toshiro Mifune's character Sanjuro from Akira Kurosawa's films Yojimbo (1961) & Sanjuro (1962) came to my mind. :)

I've no doubt you know, but on similar note Charles Bronson was one of the stars of The Magnificent Seven (1960), an American remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai (1954) which involved seven gunfighters in the American old west rather than seven samurai in feudal Japan. Of course James Coburn was in it too.
DannyBoy

Postby sticksb » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:09 pm

Bronson/Coburn : Mag 7
Bronson/Coburn : Great Escape
Bronson/Coburn : Hard Times
Bronson/Mifune : Red Sun When directors sense good chemistry between actors they'll get
as much mileage as they can out of it without much script tweaking ...
sticksb

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:16 pm

sticksb wrote:Bronson/Coburn : Mag 7
Bronson/Coburn : Great Escape
Bronson/Coburn : Hard Times
Bronson/Mifune : Red Sun When directors sense good chemistry between actors they'll get
as much mileage as they can out of it without much script tweaking ...

Of course "The King of Cool" Steve McQueen was also in The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape along with Charles Bronson and James Coburn. 8-)

I love Red Sun, it was a quite a unique western and had such a great cast; Bronson, Toshiro Mifune, Alain Delon, Ursula Andress and Capucine.

By the by, Charles Bronson starred in my all-time favorite western, Sergio Leone's Once Upon a Time in the West (1968), along with Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, Claudia Cardinale. Such an awesome film and arguably the greatest western ever made.
DannyBoy

Postby sticksb » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:32 pm

Maggie Blye passed away today . She was Speed's (Coburn's) girlfriend in Hard Times .
She also played the young blonde wife in Hombre with Paul Newman . Great actress
and beautiful gal (73).
sticksb

Postby DannyBoy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:33 pm

sticksb wrote:Maggie Blye passed away today . She was Speed's (Coburn's) girlfriend in Hard Times .
She also played the young blonde wife in Hombre with Paul Newman . Great actress
and beautiful gal (73).

I hadn't heard that, she was great in The Italian Job with Michael Caine too. Patty Duke, also a great actress, passed away today too. Sad news. May Margaret Blye & Patty Duke both rest in peace and may God bless & comfort their families & friends.
DannyBoy

Next

Return to Combat Arts and Sports