Bruce Lee

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Bruce Lee

Postby Talbot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:52 am

@ Peter Yates: What is your opinion of Bruce Lee? I am, as most people are, a huge fan of his. Though I've heard some less than positive reviews of him from some sources. So what is your opinion of him as a real martial artist?
Talbot

Re: Bruce Lee

Postby peter yates » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:21 pm

HI TALBOT,
A GOOD QUESTION THAT I WILL TRY TO ANSWER AS HONESTLY AS POSSIBLE. FIRST OF ALL I NEVER MET HIM AND MANY WHO HAVE COMMENTED ON HIM BE IT FAVORABLE OR OTHERWISE NEVER MET HIM OR WERE NOT EVEN BORN WHEN HE WAS AROUND SO HOW CAN THEY FORM A REAL IMPRESSION. CERTAINLY HIS FILMS CANNOT BE TAKEN AS PROOF ONE WAY OR ANOTHER AS THEY WERE MADE FOR ENTERTAINMENT. MANY TOP KARATE MEN OF THE TIME TRAINED WITH HIM AND IT APPEARS ALL LEARNED SOMETHING FROM HIM. HOWEVER THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME MANY HAD BEEN EXPOSED TO THE SUBTLETY AND FLUIDITY OF CHINESE ARTS SO IT MADE AN IMPRESSION ON THEM. MANY WHO WERE CLOSE TO HIM MAY BE PRONE TO INFLATE HIS PROWESS WHILE OTHER MAY DENIGRATE HIM TO MAKE THEMSELVES APPEAR SUPERIOR. BOTH SIDES CAN USE HIM TO ELEVATE THEMSELVES. I FEEL HE WAS A MAN WHO WAS TOTALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT AND DEDICATED TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF MARTIAL ARTS. HE HAD SOME VERY WORTHWHILE IDEAS AND WAS FLUID IN HIS THINKING AS CAN BE JUDGED BY HIS WRITINGS. HE HAD A MASSIVE IMPACT ON THE POPULARIZATION OF MARTIAL ARTS MUCH LIKE ARNOLD HAD ON BODYBUILDING WHICH I FEEL WAS HIS GREATEST CONTRIBUTION. THE THING THAT BOTHERS ME WITH MARTIAL ARTS IN GENERAL IS THAT HOW CAN YOU SAY ANYONE IS ANY GOOD OR NOT UNLESS THEY ARE ABLE TO PROVE IT. IN MARTIAL SPORTS PEOPLE GET IN THE RING AND PUT IT ON THE LINE BUT UNLESS SOMEONE IS PREPARED TO GO INTO A BAD ASS NEIGHBORHOOD OR AS WE USED TO DO WORK ON THE DOOR THERE IS NO WAY TO REALLY KNOW IF THOSE 'DEADLY' TECHNIQUES REALLY WORK. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO MENTION WHAT I HEARD FROM TWO OF MY TEACHERS WHOM I RESPECT VERY MUCH. SIFU SHARE K. LEW WHO KNEW BRUCE WELL FELT HE REALLY HAD SOMETHING BUT THAT HE FOCUSED TOO MUCH ON THE EXTERNAL NEGLECTING INTERNAL WORK AND DID NOT KNOW HOW TO RELAX. HE ALSO ONCE TOLD HIM " YOU MIGHT BE GOOD BRUCE BUT ALWAYS SOMEONE BETTER." MY TEACHER IN CHINA SIFU LUO GUO HUA SAID WHEN BRUCE WAS IN THE SCHOOL IN HONG KONG HIS SENIORS COULD ALL BETTER HIM. WHEN HE CAME BACK AGAIN FROM AMERICA AND HE WENT TO THE SCHOOL HIS SENIORS COULD STILL BETTER HIM. AS FOR ME I TRULY BELIEVE HE HAD SOMETHING WORTHWHILE, WAS BETTER THAN MOST BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY MADE PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THE REALITY OF COMBAT. WHO KNOWS HOW HE WOULD HAVE EVOLVED IF HE HAD NOT PASSED AWAY SO YOUNG.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Talbot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:08 am

@peteryates: Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate you including the opinions or your teachers too.

Any opinions, that others may have about Bruce Lee, would be welcome too!
Talbot

Postby peter yates » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:56 pm

HI TALBOT,
ONE MORE THING ABOUT BRUCE LEE IS HIS OBVIOUS DESIRE TO BE THE BEST HE COULD BE IN ALL POSSIBLE WAYS AND HIS RELENTLESS SEARCH TO DO THIS. THIS CAN BE SEEN IN THE AMAZING PHYSIQUE HE CREATED WHICH I KNOW INSPIRED MANY YOUNG MEN TO START TRAINING AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THAN TOP BODYBUILDERS DID. HIS WORK ETHIC
APPEARED TO BE SECOND TO NONE AND HE ALSO SEEMED TO BE A PERFECTIONIST. SO NO MATTER HOW HE STACKED UP TO ANYONE ELSE HE WAS FORGING THE VERY BEST BRUCE LEE THAT HE COULD. THESE IN THEMSELVES ARE ADMIRABLE TRAITS. REMEMBER THAT HE WAS STILL A YOUNG MAN AND IN MARTIAL ARTS IT IS SAID A PERSON REACHES HIS PEAK AROUND 50 AFTER A LIFETIME OF PRACTICE. HE STILL HAD A LONG WAY TO GO AND IT IS SAD HE NEVER GOT TO FULFILL HIS POTENTIAL.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Talbot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:13 am

Absolutely, no way to dis Bruce Lee's personal effectiveness, in his every day training. Total dedication to his goals, can't be overlooked! That's the major reason that I admire him.
Talbot

Postby sticksb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:15 pm

Bruce Lee's take on weight training seems fairly unbiased and interesting . A limited number
of work sets on 6-8 compound exercises 2-3 times per week . Squats , bench presses . overhead press
barbell curls . He screwed his back up going heavy on the good morning exercise and it plagued him
for the rest of his life . He also favored intense versions of pushups and core exercises like bench flags .
Very handsome guy with charisma and decent acting skills , I'm sure once the movie and tv people started
throwing money and contracts around it was hard to stay focused on internalizing skill level . Was his death
the result of head trauma or stroke ?
sticksb

Postby Talbot » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:52 pm

Every time Bruce Lee was going to do a movie role, he got the carbs out of his diet, to get the cut look. It was a typical bodybuilder's thing to do before contests in the 1960s. In the year before he died, he started doing that diet as usual, but because of the hype about the low fat diet, coming out in the early 1970s, he started doing that too. So he was essentially on a protein only diet, and that is deadly. You can live without carbs, as they're non-essential to health, but there is no way you will survive without fat in your diet. His diet at the time is what killed him. He went to the emergency room a couple of months before he died, as he was weak and couldn't move, as he was exhausted by his schedule and diet. The doctor told him he needed rest, and more fat in his diet. He didn't listen. Low fat diets are idiotic. People who lose weight that way, look awful, and lose muscle, bone, organ mass, and get sagging skin. Very unhealthy diet!
Talbot

Postby dhartnet » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:56 pm

I was always a huge Bruce Lee fan (still am), since my pre-teen years, watching his films, and when I was taking Kenpo back in those days. I still collect Bruce Lee items on occasion, and display them in my home office... Like Peter said, he's one of those pioneers, like Arnold...
---------
~Dave
dhartnet

Postby Donny » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:40 pm

peter yates wrote:HI TALBOT,
A GOOD QUESTION THAT I WILL TRY TO ANSWER AS HONESTLY AS POSSIBLE. FIRST OF ALL I NEVER MET HIM AND MANY WHO HAVE COMMENTED ON HIM BE IT FAVORABLE OR OTHERWISE NEVER MET HIM OR WERE NOT EVEN BORN WHEN HE WAS AROUND SO HOW CAN THEY FORM A REAL IMPRESSION. CERTAINLY HIS FILMS CANNOT BE TAKEN AS PROOF ONE WAY OR ANOTHER AS THEY WERE MADE FOR ENTERTAINMENT. MANY TOP KARATE MEN OF THE TIME TRAINED WITH HIM AND IT APPEARS ALL LEARNED SOMETHING FROM HIM. HOWEVER THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME MANY HAD BEEN EXPOSED TO THE SUBTLETY AND FLUIDITY OF CHINESE ARTS SO IT MADE AN IMPRESSION ON THEM. MANY WHO WERE CLOSE TO HIM MAY BE PRONE TO INFLATE HIS PROWESS WHILE OTHER MAY DENIGRATE HIM TO MAKE THEMSELVES APPEAR SUPERIOR. BOTH SIDES CAN USE HIM TO ELEVATE THEMSELVES. I FEEL HE WAS A MAN WHO WAS TOTALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT AND DEDICATED TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF MARTIAL ARTS. HE HAD SOME VERY WORTHWHILE IDEAS AND WAS FLUID IN HIS THINKING AS CAN BE JUDGED BY HIS WRITINGS. HE HAD A MASSIVE IMPACT ON THE POPULARIZATION OF MARTIAL ARTS MUCH LIKE ARNOLD HAD ON BODYBUILDING WHICH I FEEL WAS HIS GREATEST CONTRIBUTION. THE THING THAT BOTHERS ME WITH MARTIAL ARTS IN GENERAL IS THAT HOW CAN YOU SAY ANYONE IS ANY GOOD OR NOT UNLESS THEY ARE ABLE TO PROVE IT. IN MARTIAL SPORTS PEOPLE GET IN THE RING AND PUT IT ON THE LINE BUT UNLESS SOMEONE IS PREPARED TO GO INTO A BAD ASS NEIGHBORHOOD OR AS WE USED TO DO WORK ON THE DOOR THERE IS NO WAY TO REALLY KNOW IF THOSE 'DEADLY' TECHNIQUES REALLY WORK. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO MENTION WHAT I HEARD FROM TWO OF MY TEACHERS WHOM I RESPECT VERY MUCH. SIFU SHARE K. LEW WHO KNEW BRUCE WELL FELT HE REALLY HAD SOMETHING BUT THAT HE FOCUSED TOO MUCH ON THE EXTERNAL NEGLECTING INTERNAL WORK AND DID NOT KNOW HOW TO RELAX. HE ALSO ONCE TOLD HIM " YOU MIGHT BE GOOD BRUCE BUT ALWAYS SOMEONE BETTER." MY TEACHER IN CHINA SIFU LUO GUO HUA SAID WHEN BRUCE WAS IN THE SCHOOL IN HONG KONG HIS SENIORS COULD ALL BETTER HIM. WHEN HE CAME BACK AGAIN FROM AMERICA AND HE WENT TO THE SCHOOL HIS SENIORS COULD STILL BETTER HIM. AS FOR ME I TRULY BELIEVE HE HAD SOMETHING WORTHWHILE, WAS BETTER THAN MOST BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY MADE PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THE REALITY OF COMBAT. WHO KNOWS HOW HE WOULD HAVE EVOLVED IF HE HAD NOT PASSED AWAY SO YOUNG.
REGARDS, PETER.
i agree on the Internal schools. When i did Karate i liked Wado Ryu and never really liked Shotokan or Kyokushin. Depends on the Sensei too. I also liked Aikido, Tendo Ryu and Iwama Ryu. Very hard to find someone who understands Bruce Lee´s principles. He did later add "softer" teqniques to his system. He was way ahead of his time and added ground work from wrestling,Judo and we have seen in recent years the rise of Brazilian Jui Jitsu. More of a practical man i think. His ideas get a bit misinterpreted by some Teachers. I know of a good School in Hannover Germany, "Kenpokan" they have regular trips to Dan inosanto and he was in Hannover.
Donny

Return to Combat Arts and Sports