Getting Ready for Action by Earle Maynard

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Getting Ready for Action by Earle Maynard

Postby drob357 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:23 pm

FREE OPEN ACCESS LIBRARY http://www.DavidGentle.com
Combat Arts & Sports

GETTING READY FOR ACTION BY EARLE MAYNARD
Published in "Muscle Training Illustrated" - Oct. 1971
Contributed by Peter Yates

Former Mr. Universe Earl Maynard tells how he maintains his physique in spite of hectic wresting schedules, and why he is planning to make a comeback in WBBG competition on Sept. 11, 1971.

FULL STORY: http://www.davidgentle.com/combat/library/index.html
Diane Robert
Site Administrator
http://www.davidgentle.com
drob357
Site Admin

Re: Getting Ready for Action by Earle Maynard

Postby DannyBoy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:49 am

Thanks for contributing the article Peter and thanks for posting it Diane! :)

Now I wonder what happened with Earl Maynard competing at the 1971 WBBG Pro Mr. America or Pro Mr. World contests because I looked it up and he's not listed amongst the competitors of either contest? That year it ended up being Peter Caputo who won the Pro Mr. America and Boyer Coe who won the Pro Mr. World. I think that Pro Mr. World contest would've been a particularly tough one for Earl (or anyone else) to make a comeback at after a few years away because it also included the likes of Ken Waller & Dennis Tinerino. The Pro Mr. America had some other good guys in it too (Bill Grant, George Paine, Chuck Collras, Warren Frederick), but I think it would've presented Maynard with the better chance of winning between those two contests. Who really knows though since it looks like Earl didn't end up competing at either for whatever reason....
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:04 pm

HI DANNY,
THE PROPOSED COMEBACK MAY HAVE JUST BEEN FOR PUBLICITY. IT MAY HAVE INTERESTED MORE FANS TO ATTEND THE CONTESTS AND GIVE A BOOST TO EARLE'S DEVELOPING WRESTING CAREER WHICH WAS AS WE KNOW LONG AND SUCCESSFUL. EITHER THAT OR COMMITMENTS DID NOT ALLOW HIM TO GET INTO TOP SHAPE IN TIME. I GUESS WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS EARLE TELLS US. EITHER WAY THE PUBLICITY WAS GOOD FOR BOTH EARLE AND DAN. AS YOU SAY THE LINE OF CHAMPS AT BOTH EVENTS WAS OF HIGH CALIBER.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 pm

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
THE PROPOSED COMEBACK MAY HAVE JUST BEEN FOR PUBLICITY. IT MAY HAVE INTERESTED MORE FANS TO ATTEND THE CONTESTS AND GIVE A BOOST TO EARLS DEVELOPING WRESTING CAREER WHICH WAS AS WE KNOW LONG AND SUCCESSFUL. EITHER THAT OR COMMITMENTS DID NOT ALLOW HIM TO GET INTO TOP SHAPE IN TIME. I GUESS WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS EARL TELLS US. EITHER WAY THE PUBLICITY WAS GOOD FOR BOTH EARL AND DAN. AS YOU SAY THE LINE OF CHAMPS AT BOTH EVENTS WAS OF HIGH CALIBER.
REGARDS, PETER.

I didn't think about that, but you may be right Peter about it being just for publicity. In any case, Earl Maynard did end up competing again and eventually won the AAU Masters Mr. America in 1978.
DannyBoy

Postby JFS » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:50 am

DannyBoy wrote:
peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
THE PROPOSED COMEBACK MAY HAVE JUST BEEN FOR PUBLICITY. IT MAY HAVE INTERESTED MORE FANS TO ATTEND THE CONTESTS AND GIVE A BOOST TO EARLS DEVELOPING WRESTING CAREER WHICH WAS AS WE KNOW LONG AND SUCCESSFUL. EITHER THAT OR COMMITMENTS DID NOT ALLOW HIM TO GET INTO TOP SHAPE IN TIME. I GUESS WE WILL NEVER KNOW UNLESS EARL TELLS US. EITHER WAY THE PUBLICITY WAS GOOD FOR BOTH EARL AND DAN. AS YOU SAY THE LINE OF CHAMPS AT BOTH EVENTS WAS OF HIGH CALIBER.
REGARDS, PETER.

I didn't think about that, but you may be right Peter about it being just for publicity. In any case, Earl Maynard did end up competing again and eventually won the AAU Masters Mr. America in 1978.

Hi guys. Back in '64, a few days before I emigrated to Australia from England, I saw Earl on t.v. wrestling Dazzler Joe Cornelius. The main reason I have always remembered this clearly was of the unusual ( and novel) way the contest ended. Earl came off the ropes, the Dazzler used his favourite head but to the stomach and Earl went downto the mat. He pulled himself off the canvas at the count of eight or nine and promptly collapsed again without Joe touching him. Up again at nine, once more he fell to the mat with Joe standing by watching at a distance while the referee counted the prone Earl 'out for the count'. I have never seen that 'finish' used since that day in April fifty three years ago! (That covers a lorra, lorra matches).
Cheers, John.
JFS

Postby David Gentle » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:01 am

Last time i saw Earle was at the OHF awards. he gave a cracker of a speech. He progressed from bodybuilding to wrestling to acting the bad guy in movies. His home in Barbados is called "Oscar" in honour of his once mentor Ocar Heidenstam. The Dazzler, is real character, i see him at the britishwrestlersreunion in Dartford Kent held annually. this year is the 26th Joe , who still looks amazing, wrote a book "Thums Up" a bit naughty really as his trademark was to....ahum.....stick his thumb up his opponents rectum, and thats the nicest way i can say it. Like Earle, Joe lives abroad in a nice warm country to keep his tan. Both men are a credit to p.c. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby JFS » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:47 am

David Gentle wrote:Last time i saw Earle was at the OHF awards. he gave a cracker of a speech. He progressed from bodybuilding to wrestling to acting the bad guy in movies. His home in Barbados is called "Oscar" in honour of his once mentor Ocar Heidenstam. The Dazzler, is real character, i see him at the britishwrestlersreunion in Dartford Kent held annually. this year is the 26th Joe , who still looks amazing, wrote a book "Thums Up" a bit naughty really as his trademark was to....ahum.....stick his thumb up his opponents rectum, and thats the nicest way i can say it. Like Earle, Joe lives abroad in a nice warm country to keep his tan. Both men are a credit to p.c. David Gentle

Joe was a great favourite of mine and often I complain that there is no video of him available, yet we can view Strangler Lewis, Thesz, Londos and sundry others who preceded Joe by many decades. The book was a bit of a disappointment as there was a lack of wrestling in it and I didn't buy the tales of throwing himself onto the spectators in the first minutes of a match for a KO loss, imagine the number of people who would have demanded their money back. I'll just have to be content with my memories of seeing him live against the likes of Garfield, Lynch and Bence.
Cheers, John.
JFS

Return to Combat Arts and Sports