Mel Robson and Tai Chi Chi Kung

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Mel Robson and Tai Chi Chi Kung

Postby Internalfitness » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:12 pm

Being from the North East of England, and a Tai Chi practitioner, I picked up a copy of "Understanding Tai Chi - Chi Kung The 18 Exercises of Tai Chi - Chi Kung" on VHS a little while ago, partly because it said Mel was a local lad.

I was familiar with the 18 exercises anyway, but Mel is a good presenter and I tried a couple of his variant tweaks (which I quite liked).

What I was not familiar with though was his story. In a little 'tribute' story at the end there are various clips of Mel as a bodybuilder in the 60's 70's, and his showman routines of weather balloon and water bottle inflating.

That all stopped however when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 6 months to live. Now whether you choose to take it with a pinch of salt or not, Mel lasted 5 years from that point - and he credited it to 'Chi.'

I may only be able to warm myself up and nicely stretch out through my own Tai Chi and Chi Kung practice (I've only been doing for 15 years), but I am a believer, and that is why I think Tai Chi and Chi Kung are still underrated disciplines in the UK.

Richie.
Internalfitness

Re: Mel Robson and Tai Chi Chi Kung

Postby peter yates » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 am

HI RICHIE,
I MUST LOOK UP MEL'S VIDEO. HAVING PRACTICED CHI GUNG SINCE 1980 AND TAI CHI SINCE 1985 I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT THESE PRACTICES WOULD BENEFIT ANYONE. TO ME THEY ARE ASIAN PHYSICAL CULTURE AND VERY COMPATIBLE AND COMPLIMENTARY TO WESTERN SYSTEMS OF PHYSICAL CULTURE. I HAVE SEEN MANY REMARKABLE TRANSFORMATIONS THROUGH THEIR PRACTICE ESPECIALLY IN JAPAN AND CHINA. I REMEMBER WHILE LIVING WITH MY SIFU IN CHINA THAT PEOPLE WOULD COME TO SEE HIM AFTER LUNCH SUFFERING FROM VARIOUS COMPLAINTS. WHILE HE WOULD MAKE UP AN HERBAL FORMULA FOR SOME THE MAIN TREATMENT WAS CHI GUNG SPECIFIC FOR THEIR CONDITIONS. ONE CASE IN PARTICULAR WAS A FAMOUS ARTIST WHO HAD BEEN INVITED TO TEACH CHINESE BRUSH PAINTING IN PARIS. HOWEVER WHILE WAITING FOR THE RELEVANT PAPERS/VISA ETC. HE HAD A STROKE AFFECTING HIS RIGHT SIDE SO COULD NOT EVEN HOLD A BRUSH. MY SIFU GAVE HIM HERBS AND TUINA MASSAGE BUT IT WAS THE DAILY PRACTICE OF CHI GUNG THAT RESTORED HIS ABILITY TO PAINT IN TIME FOR HIM TO GO TO PARIS. THIS WAS ABOUT 6 MONTHS OVERALL. I HAVE SEEN MUCH BETTER RESULTS WITH THE PATIENTS WHO WILL DO THE CHI GUNG I TEACH THEM TO DO AT HOME. QUICKER AND MORE COMPLETE RECOVERY. HOWEVER AS A MEANS OF STAYING HEALTHY IT IS A HARD PRACTICE TO BEAT WHILE RELATIVELY EASY TO LEARN. I DO BELIEVE THOUGH THAT IT IS FIRST BETTER TO LEARN FROM A TEACHER AND NOT A VIDEO SO CORRECTIONS CAN BE MADE. VIDEO IS OK FOR THOSE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Return to Combat Arts and Sports