Wrestler Query

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Re: Wrestler Query

Postby David Gentle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:35 am

HI LARRY, JUST READ YOUR FRESH INPUTS ABOUT TOM AND YOUR GRAND DADS WRESTLING IN THE CUTTINGS YOU PUT ON THE SITE, WOW, REALLY INTERESTING AND WOULD MAKE A GOOD STORY IF YOU COULD PUT IT ALL TOGETHER . WHAT A GREAT HEAD OF HAIR YOUR TOM HAD . WITH ALL THE PUBLICITY, HE MUST BE IN ONE OF THE MAGS, I AM GOING TO TAKE A LOOK IN THE INDIVIDUAL MAGAZINES OF HEALTH AND STRENGTH RATHER THAN RELY ON THE ANNUALS WHICH I HAVE ALREADY SEARCHED WITH NO SUCCESS, ALSO HAVE AS I SAID IN OTHER EMAIL, SOME SUPERMAN MAGS, ITS JUST A MATTER OF DIGGING OUT THE BOOKS AND THEN THE TIME SEARCHING. THE WIFE SAYS I AM SKIVING AND SHOULD BE OUT CUTTING THE GRASS, I TOLD HER TO GO BUY A SHEEP. KEEP SEARCHING AND GOOD LUCK. DAVID GENTLE.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby Larry » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Hi David. Glad you found the articles interesting and thank you so much for looking through the H&S annuals. I'm really very grateful. Hopefully something might turn up in the magazines. I've been researching both of them for a number of years and have hit a wall trying to find out when he became Lightweight Champion. I have visited the Museum of Wigan life twice to research, but as I live in Surrey I don't really get the chance to go there often. By the way, my Mrs also says I'm skiving! Thanks again. Larry
Larry

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Hi Larry, welcome to the HOPC forum! Thank you for the interesting info, articles & photos on your grandfather & great grandfather, great stuff. :)
DannyBoy

Postby Larry » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks Danny. Appreciated.
Larry

Postby JFS » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:35 am

Larry wrote:Hi David. Glad you found the articles interesting and thank you so much for looking through the H&S annuals. I'm really very grateful. Hopefully something might turn up in the magazines. I've been researching both of them for a number of years and have hit a wall trying to find out when he became Lightweight Champion. I have visited the Museum of Wigan life twice to research, but as I live in Surrey I don't really get the chance to go there often. By the way, my Mrs also says I'm skiving! Thanks again. Larry

Hi Larry, a new boy here! Fascinating stuff! I guess your grandfathers would have been well acquainted with Ernie and Billy Reily, Jack Dempsey, and the Robinsons' all out of the Wigan snake pit?
Cheers, John.
JFS

Postby Larry » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi John. Thanks for your comments. My Great Grandad was a good friend of Billy Riley. When my Great Grandad retired as trainer of Wigan Rugby League, later on Billy Riley said it took three men to do the job he used to do. Apparently he also assisted Riley in opening up the gym which later became famous. I guess he must have also known the other two, although I haven't heard any stories about them. Best regards. Larry
Larry

Previous

Return to Combat Arts and Sports