CBBC goes All Over the Place and tries it's hand at kung fu

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

CBBC goes All Over the Place and tries it's hand at kung fu

Postby Harry Hayfield » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Every year since 2011, CBBC has been showing a travel programme showing some of the strangest or odd landmarks, events and traditions in the United Kingdom, the United States, Australia, Europe and in the current series Asia. IN the episode broadcast today (January 18th 2017), two of the presenters Ed Petrie and Naomi Wilkinson travelled to the Wudang Mountain range in central China to try and learn in a day what it usually takes 13 years to learn as part of their "Main Event".

The programme can be watched in the United Kingdom via the BBC iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/cbbc/episo ... nd-kung-fu but I am not sure if it is broadcast on either BBC America or PBS
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Re: CBBC goes All Over the Place and tries it's hand at kung

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:48 pm

I can't watch it since I'm not in the UK, but what you're describing sounds similar to a couple of tv shows we had here in the US a few years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Weapon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Quest

How'd Ed Petrie & Naomi Wilkinson do in their brief training? Did they have to exhibit what they learned?
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi Danny, i found these shows really enjoyable and the hosts did a good job in both programs.Too bad they were dropped. May have been a limited audience though.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:00 pm

peter yates wrote:Hi Danny, i found these shows really enjoyable and the hosts did a good job in both programs.Too bad they were dropped. May have been a limited audience though.
Regards,Peter.

Yeah I agree Peter, a great concept and great & enjoyable shows while they lasted!

Interesting bit of trivia; hosts Jason Chambers of Human Weapon and Jimmy Smith of Fight Quest fought each other in an MMA match back in 2006 which Smith won in the 1st round via submission with a heel hook. Anyway.... I'm not sure what the other hosts are up to these days, but I see Jimmy Smith on tv regularly as he's been one of the commentators & the post fight in-cage interviewer for Bellator MMA on Spike TV for the past 7 or 8 years, he's also been doing some boxing commentary for Spike TV the last couple of years.
DannyBoy

Return to Combat Arts and Sports