Famous Olympic Wrestlers

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Re: Famous Olympic Wrestlers

Postby DannyBoy » Thu May 05, 2016 10:03 am

Nice write-up on Henry Cejudo, Harry. His first MMA loss at UFC 197 a couple weeks ago you mentioned was a championship match against the UFC Flyweight Champion Demetrious Johnson, who is arguably pound-for-pound the #1 fighter in all of MMA, and if not #1 he's no less than #2. So there was no shame in Cejudo losing to DJ, but with that said, Cejudo really wasn't quite ready for such a fight. Henry is still young in the sport and has a lot of talent & potential, but he hadn't faced enough top level flyweights & gained the experience from doing so before he fought DJ. Cejudo was put into the position to fight DJ so soon more or less because Johnson is running out of title challengers as he's pretty much tore through the flyweight division & dominated it, and that's also what DJ did to Cejudo in their match. Hopefully Henry will learn from the loss and work his way back up the ladder and earn another title shot down the road.
DannyBoy

Postby Harry Hayfield » Thu May 05, 2016 8:57 pm

As we have seen, Olympians can be inspired by other Olympians and in 2012, the winner of the gold medal in the Men's 74kg Freestyle class certainly falls into that class of people as in an interview the following year he said:

I started at five. I brought home a flyer one day from elementary school. No one in my family had ever wrestled. My teammates became friends and I got more into it. I was super tiny growing up, a late bloomer in terms of physical development, but I didn’t have to be big to excel

And who else have we mentioned who had a same upbringing? Dave Schultz, so it should come as no surprise to hear that in the same year this person won the 2012 Dave Schultz Memorial International Championship. And who was that person? Jordan Burroughs.

Born in Camden, New Jersey in 1988, he wrestled for Winslow Township High School, where he was a state champion and a senior national champion before heading to the University of Nebraska where he was a three-time All American, and two-time undefeated national champion. As a freshman, Burroughs qualified for the NCAA tournament at 149 pounds. His sophomore year, Burroughs again competed at 149 pounds where he earned a 3rd place All-American finish. For his junior season, Burroughs moved up to 157 pounds, and became an undefeated national champion. Following an injury that took him out of competition for a year, Burroughs moved up again, this time to 165 pounds. At 165 pounds, he repeated as an undefeated national champion. Immediately after college, Burroughs won a freestyle world title in Istanbul, Turkey, making him only the fourth wrestler ever to win an NCAA title and world title in the same year!

And then came London, where he only conceded six points in his run to the medal. And after that triumph, well, more of the same: 2013 Stepan Sargsyan International Champion – 74 kg, 2013 Alexander Medved Champion – 74 kg, 2013 Stepan Sarkisyan Champion – 74 kg, 2013 U.S. Open Champion – 74 kg, 2014 U.S. Open Champion – 74 kg, 2015 Alexander Medved Champion – 74 kg, 2016 Yasar Dogu International Champion - 74 kg

"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby DannyBoy » Sat May 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Jordan Burroughs is a great wrestler, the top American wrestler for sure, and I think has proven himself to be one of the best amateur wrestlers the United States has ever produced period. He's the #1 ranked 74kg freestyle wrestler in the world, the reigning 74kg World Champion and the favorite to again win gold in the weight class at this year's Olympic Games. I'm looking forward to seeing him compete at the Olympics again. :)
DannyBoy

Postby David Gentle » Sun May 08, 2016 6:47 pm

HI GUYS, JUST TO SAY HOW MUCH I ENJOYED THE WRESTLING THREAD, FIRST TIME I HAVE READ IT. I EXPECT YOU ALREADY KNOW I WRITE FOR THE BRITISH WRESTLERS REUNION WEB SITE...BUT I AM LEARNING A LOT FROM THIS THREAD. BY THE WAY, NOT EVERYTHING IN PRINT IS TRUTH...IF YOU CAN OBTAIN AND READ AN OLD BOOK "THE FALL GUYS" IT WILL REALLY SURPRISE YOU. WRESTLERS ARE MORE SECRET THAN FREE MASONS, EVEN HAVING A LANGUAGE OF THEIR OWN.HOW DO I KNOW? BECAUSE I HAVE HAD OVER 50 YEARS CONTACT IN THE GAME. MIND YOU, THOSE OLD LADIES WITH THEIR HIGH HEEL SHOES CAN DO SOME DAMAGE. WRESTLING ON T.V. DIED AFTER SHIRLEY CRABTREE OR BIG DADDY BEGAN THAT BELLY BUMPING RUBBISH, WHICH IS SAD AS HE ONCE HAD A GREAT PHYSIQUE. THE REUNION IS ALWAYS ON THE SECOND WEEKEND OF AUGUST, AT THE BRIDGES PUB IN KENT, WITH ABOUT 350 WRESTLERS ATTENDING. ITS A GREAT MEETING. DAVID GENTLE P.S. BERT ASSIRATI.S ASHES ARE SCATTERED THERE.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby Harry Hayfield » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:13 pm

The results of the wrestling at Rio (Freestyle and Greco Roman) are as follows:

Greco Roman Wrestling
59kg Class: Cuba, Japan, Uzbekistan and Norway
66kg Class: Serbia, Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan
75kg Class: Russia, Denmark, South Korea and Iran
85kg Class: Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Germany
98kg Class: Armenia, Cuba, Turkey and Iran
130kg Class: Cuba, Turkey, Azerbaijan and Russia

Women's Freestyle Wrestling
Under 48kg Class: Japan, Azerbaijan, China and Bulgaria
Under 53kg Class: United States, Japan, Azerbaijan and Sweden
Under 58kg Class: Japan, Russia, Tunisia and India
Under 63kg Class: Japan, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Poland
Under 69kg Class, Japan, Russia, Kazakhstan and Sweden
Under 75kg Class: Canada, Kazakhstan, China and Russia

Men's Freestyle Wrestling
Under 57kg Class: Georgia, Japan, Azerbaijan and Iran
Under 65kg Class: Russia, Azerbaijan, Italy and Uzbekistan
Under 74kg Class: Iran, Russia, Azerbaijan and Turkey
Under 86kg Class: Russia, Turkey, Azerbaijan and United States
Under 97kg Class: United States, Azerbaijan, Romania and Uzbekistan

Over the next few weeks I will profile the gold medal winner in each class, but would be happy to profile any wrestlers who took member's attention
Under 125kg Class: Turkey, Iran, Bulgaria and Georgia
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Previous

Return to Combat Arts and Sports