RIP Muhammad Ali

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

RIP Muhammad Ali

Postby DannyBoy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:25 am

Muhammad Ali, boxing legend & all-time great, 1960 Olympic gold medalist & 3-time World Heavyweight Champion, not-to-mention one of the most recognized, famous & influential sports figures/athletes ever, passed away tonight at the age of 74. May he rest in peace and may God bless & comfort all of his family & friends.

DannyBoy

Re: RIP Muhammad Ali

Postby Harry Hayfield » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:27 am

The Olympic Games of Atlanta in 1996 (which marked the centenary of the Modern Games) saw the Olympic Cauldron lit by him (as shown in this video) [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmzr3tZSHxU[/video]
and also addressed something I did not know about until those Games. As you know he won the gold in the Men's Light Heavyweight class at the boxing competition in the 1960 Olympics in Rome, however what I did not know was that shortly after those Games he threw his gold medal into the Ohio River after he and a friend were refused service at a "whites-only" restaurant and fought with a white gang. Although there have been statements both confirming and denying the story, at the 1996 Games he was awarded a replacement gold during a break in the basketball competition
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9OlmPyjsNU[/video]
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby DannyBoy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:11 am

^Yep, I certainly remember watching the '96 Olympic Games in Atlanta with my parents and seeing Ali carry the Olympic torch & all.
DannyBoy

Postby peter yates » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:07 pm

IT HAS BEEN SAD TO WATCH THE SLOW DETERIORATION OF THIS GREAT CHAMP OVER THE YEARS AND VERY SAD TO SEE HIM GO. WHENEVER HE FOUGHT I ALWAYS ROOTED FOR HIM AND WIN OR LOSE HE ALWAYS DELIVERED. MAY HIS SOUL FIND PEACE. CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:56 pm

Ali was courageous in and out of the ring . The seeds of dementia were sown during the
third Frazier fight . He intimated this to Gerry Cooney who was having problems himself
after many ring wars . Both men were victims of the most competitive era in heavyweight
history. Ali never attempted to hide his affliction from the public and the last years of his
life he was bolstered by a loving wife and daughters . 10 bells for the old champ ,10 bells
for a life well spent ...
sticksb

Postby dhartnet » Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:49 am

What a legend and my childhood hero! RIP!!!
---------
~Dave
dhartnet

Postby David Gentle » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:30 pm

IT IS SAID, WE ARE ALL RELATED VIA SIX LINKS. I WAS A GREAT AND LONG TIME FRIEND OF A GUY CALLED LEO ROSA. LEO WAS A FORMER WRESTLER, LIVED IN THE BRONX, HE PRACTISED JU JITSU WITH THE GRACIE BROS AND ALSO WAS A WORLD RECOGNISE FAMOUS PIANO PLAYER OF PUERTO RICO MUSIC. HE ALSO PLAYED FOR PEOPLE LIKE SINATRA. LEO CAME TO ALL THE OHF AWARDS AND WE WERE LONG TIME BUDDIES. LEO ALSO WAS BROUGHT UP WITH CASSIUS CLAY AND CASSIUS'S BROTHER RUDOLF VALENTINO CLAY, SPARED WITH THEM AND ALSO TRAINED AT A LONG GONE MIAMI BEACH GYM. LEO COMMENTED JUST HOW FAST CASSIUS WAS. I WROTE ALL THIS UP FOR HEALTH AND STRENGTH BACK IN 2005. NOW SADLY BOTH LEO AND CASSSIUS OR MOHAMID ARE GONE. BUT TO GET TO MY POINT, HERE WE ARE LINKED BY JUST THREE PEOPLE, ME, LEO AND CLAY....IT TRULY IS A SMALL WORLD. I BET STICKS KNOWS OF LEO ROSA, HE CAME IN THE UNIVERSE FINALS IN 1965 AND ALSO ALWAYS ATTENDED VIC BOFFS AOBBS. DAVID GENTLE.
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby sticksb » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:58 pm

IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (149.53 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
Small article written by Leo from OLD NYC . Before gentrification , digital signs , Wi-Fi ...
Sig walked Broadway with cigar in chops . My uncles watched LaMotta , Graziano , and
the great SR Robinson @ Stillman's Gym .
sticksb

Postby sticksb » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:59 pm

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (140.73 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
sticksb

Postby sticksb » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:22 pm

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 1852 times
sticksb

Next