Cumberland Wrestling gets a primetime mention

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Cumberland Wrestling gets a primetime mention

Postby Harry Hayfield » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Countryfile is a weekly programme broadcast on Sundays that focuses on a different part of the United Kingdom each week and celebrates what that part of the country has to offer. This week the programme was in Cumbria (or as it was known before 1974, Cumberland) and as I am sure most members will know the county was (and is still) famed for it's wrestling therefore Helen Skelton (formerly of Blue Peter) was asked to have a go with the results available to watch in the UK via the BBC's iPlayer service, however in the prelude to the report two pictures (one drawn and one photograph) of past matches that I thought members might like to see
Attachments
Ye Olde Cumberland Wrestling.jpg
Ye Olde Cumberland Wrestling.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Ye Olde Cumberland Wrestling 2.jpg
Ye Olde Cumberland Wrestling 2.jpg (118.23 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Re: Cumberland Wrestling gets a primetime mention

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am

^Cool pictures Harry, thanks for posting them! Have they done anything on Lancashire wrestling, Cornish wrestling or Devonshire wrestling?
DannyBoy

Postby Harry Hayfield » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:45 am

DannyBoy wrote:^Cool pictures Harry, thanks for posting them! Have they done anything on Lancashire wrestling, Cornish wrestling or Devonshire wrestling?

Countryfile has indeed been to Lancashire, Cornwall and Devon, but I do not recall any mention of those types of wrestling (but that could be because they are not as well known as Cumberland is)
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:41 pm

Harry Hayfield wrote:
DannyBoy wrote:^Cool pictures Harry, thanks for posting them! Have they done anything on Lancashire wrestling, Cornish wrestling or Devonshire wrestling?

Countryfile has indeed been to Lancashire, Cornwall and Devon, but I do not recall any mention of those types of wrestling (but that could be because they are not as well known as Cumberland is)

Hmm, I didn't know that. I guess I would've figured Lancashire wrestling was the most well known style, but I would've been wrong.
DannyBoy

Return to Combat Arts and Sports