Karate Added to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Karate Added to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo

Postby DannyBoy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Yesterday Karate was one of five sports which the International Olympic Committee (IOC) voted to add to the program for the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, Japan. I think it's a great inclusion, congratulations to all of the karatekas and karate fans out there!

IOC approves five new sports for Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - Olympic News
DannyBoy

Re: Karate Added to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo

Postby Donny » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:56 pm

cool... :)
Donny

Postby colinkbell » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 am

Excellent! Is there any particular style and governing body?
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3
colinkbell

Postby Harry Hayfield » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:21 am

colinkbell wrote:Excellent! Is there any particular style and governing body?

The Olympic competition will be overseen by the World Karate Federation who say the following on their website

Martial artists around the world have one thing in common: they all know where the Martial Arts Mecca is. The Nippon Budokan in Tokyo is considered the ‘heart’ of these disciplines and the main destination for martial arts practitioners and enthusiasts.  The Karate family is celebrating the designation of the Nippon Budokan as Karate venue for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, as the debut of the ancient modality in the Olympic Games could not have found a better home to see its Olympic dreams come true. 

However it does not say what style, but I would presume it was the standard version as practised around the world
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)
Harry Hayfield

Postby DannyBoy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:00 pm

colinkbell wrote:Excellent! Is there any particular style and governing body?

Hey Colin. As Harry mentioned above, the Olympic karate competition will be overseen by the World Karate Federation and the styles of karate recognized by the WKF are Shotokan, Gōjū-ryū, Shitō-ryū and Wadō-ryū. I don't know for sure, but I assume the competition will consist of men's, women's & team kumite and men's, women's & team kata. You can read the WKF competitions rules here if you're interested: https://www.wkf.net/pdf/wkf-competition ... 015-en.pdf.

WKF kumite is more along the lines of semi-contact karate, personally I'd have preferred Olympic karate to be full contact/knockdown karate, but it is what it is.
DannyBoy

Return to Combat Arts and Sports