Wrestler Query

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

Wrestler Query

Postby Larry » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 pm

image.jpg
Wrestling medal
image.jpg (293.26 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Dear all,
I have been researching my Grandfather Thomas McCarthy from Wigan who was Lightweight Catch as Catch Can wrestling champion, sometime probably in the late 1930's early 1940's. I'm aware that Health and Strength listed Champions in their annuals. If anyone has them for this period and could determine the year I would be really grateful.
Incidentally, his father Tom McCarty Senior was also a wrestling champion and physical culturist and I have it on record that he wrote to Health and Strength before WW1!
Lastly I have this circa 1920's Wrestling medal in my possession. It is inscribed with H&S Mon on the back. Please see attached photo. Could this be related to Health and Strength and does anyone know what the Mon stands for? Many thanks.
Larry
Larry

Re: Wrestler Query

Postby peter yates » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:23 pm

HI LARRY,
SORRY I CANNOT HELP YOU BUT POST THIS IN "ASK A QUESTION" SECTION SO MORE PEOPLE MIGHT SEE IT. DAVID OR RON MAY HAVE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THIS. WOULD LOVE TO HEAR MORE MORE ABOUT YOUR GRANDFATHER AND HIS FATHER.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby David Gentle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Larry, just seen your quiery. You are right,for decades H&S always carried wrestling news and the annuals also published listss, i see by the medal he was a bantom-weight. I do have all the annuals, so will dig them out of my collection and try to find him. he may also have been in a contempory mag Superman, not the comic book but a physical culture journal and a good one at that, so will look in there. I just need time as i have a pile of stuff to answer and then the wife also chips in now and then with some job or other, she just cant stand watching me sitting down and enjoying myself reading some book or muscle mag, so its the lawn first, then the hedge, i just hope it rains. in fact snow would be better as everything looks tidy under a blanket of snow. so give me a chance and will see if i can find the old fellow. David Gentle p.s if anyone else reads this, i have a silver wrestling medal from the German Olympics (siilver plated on brass) including a German eagle attached to it, with the winners name engraved, does anyone collect this sort of item?
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
http://davidgentle.com
David Gentle

Postby peter yates » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:37 pm

I KNEW DAVID WOULD COME UP WITH SOMETHING. GOOD HUNTING MATE.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Larry » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:37 pm

David, Peter

Thank you so much for your input. I will really be grateful if anything comes up in the annuals. I have a record of him competing as a Bantam in 1930, so presumably it would be sometime between then and 1946 when he became Lightweight champion of the North, as he would have had to put a bit of weight on. In 1946 he retired from work due to ill health, so I doubt it was after that. He did feature in a Sporting Chronicle article in 1926 when he was beaten somewhat controversially by eventual winner Harry Pennington, in the British Amateur Wrestling Bantamweight championship. The referee being none other than the famous martial arts pioneer Percy Longhurst.

With regard to my Great Grandfather, he was quite a character. He was a weightlifter and Featherweight Wrestling Champion of England just before WW1. He even became 'Wrestling Champion' of Gallipoli, winning a match which had to be finished quickly under Turkish sniper fire, according to a newspaper report! He was awarded the DCM at Gallipoli and after the war from 1919 to 1939 was appointed trainer of Wigan Rugby League. He led them to their first two Rugby League Challenge Cup triumphs including the first Wembley final in 1929. He was also a qualified physiotherapist and in later life a Punch and Judy man! I have a couple of newspaper articles from 1930 when whilst in the role of Wigan Boxing & Wrestling Association Chairman, he exhorted the virtues of physical culture.
Larry

Postby peter yates » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:22 pm

HI LARRY,
THANKS FOR THE INTERESTING INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR GREAT GRANDDAD. SOUNDS LIKE HE WAS A REAL ALL ROUND PHYSICAL CULTURE MAN. WAS YOUR GRANDFATHER A MINER AND DID HIS HEALTH IMPROVE LATER ON OR DID HE DECLINE? HE WOULD STILL HAVE BEEN QUITE YOUNG IN 1946. WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO POST THE NEWSPAPER ARTICLES ABOUT GREAT GRANDFATHER?
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby Larry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:16 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (760.02 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Hi Peter
No my Grandfather was a Blacksmith striker whereas my Great Grandfather had had a stint in the mines. Sadly they both passed away in 1954 within a couple of months of each other well before I was born. My Grandfather was only 48 at the time. I will add some articles now.
Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:19 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (779.03 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Hi Peter more to follow. Article on Great Grandad's wrestling career.
Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:22 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (814.85 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Here is the rest of the article
Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:31 am

image.jpg
image.jpg (642.17 KiB) Viewed 911 times
Hi. An article from 1930 discussing Physical culture and clean Wrestling.
Larry

Next

Return to Combat Arts and Sports