JOSHUA V KLITSCHKO

Join the discussion group on topics related to Martial Arts, Boxing, Wrestling and MMA. Share your experience or pose questions to our Moderators.

Moderators: peter yates, David Gentle

JOSHUA V KLITSCHKO

Postby peter yates » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:27 pm

A sold out Britain's Wembley Stadium will the be the venue on Saturday April 29 for the battle between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko for heavyweight boxing champion of the world.Contested will be Joshua's IBF championship belt plus the vacant IBO and WBA titles.Both men are former Olympic gold medal winners. Since turning professional Joshua has notched up 18 wins all by knockout and at 27 is only getting into his stride.Although 41, Klitschko has had a long career and fought a staggering 28 world title fights.After Joe Louis he is the longest reigning world champion. While Joshua has youth on his side Klitschko has the experience yet this will be his first outing since losing to Tyson Fury in 2015.That is a long time to be out of the ring and meanwhile Joshua has been Honing his ring skills. It can be argued that both men have not had a lot of real competition in their respective careers and quite a few of Joshua's oponents were not in the best of condition in my opinion.Should be an interesting fight though,age and experience v youth and optimism.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Re: JOSHUA V KLITSCHKO

Postby dhartnet » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:39 pm

2 giants (literally) going toe to toe, boxing is so boring these days, but fights like this get me excited just a little bit. I miss the old days (to me) of heavyweight boxing, Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Shavers, Holmes, etc, etc.. Looking FWD to this one.
---------
~Dave
dhartnet

Postby peter yates » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi Dave,
i am right with you there.Boxing was something i always looked forward to in the past but it has been a while since something stirred me up. If they both have done their preparation and are in the best condition they can be it should be a terrific fight. Hope Julie,yourself and the girls are all doing well, not to forget Luna of course.
Regards, Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:22 pm

I've been looking forward to Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko for awhile, I'm glad it's almost here. :D

Both Anthony & Wlad were good amateurs, and Olympic gold medalists as you said Peter. Though with all due respect to Joshua he shouldn't have gotten the gold in 2012, it was a "home decision" for him in the gold medal match with Roberto Cammarelle and had that Olympic Games been anywhere else other than the UK then Joshua would've gotten the silver and Cammarelle the gold. I still distinctly remember watching that match and feeling sorry for Roberto Cammarelle getting a raw deal there, eh but favoritism towards the home country athletes is how it goes in every Olympic Games (not-to-mention there's been constant controversy in Olympic boxing judging for decades).

Anyway, they're both big, tall guys with a long reach, they both hit hard and they both have iffy chins. Clearly Joshua has youth and less wear & tear on his side, while Klitschko has the huge experience advantage and has fought the far better competition. A big issue for Klitschko could be not only is he 41, but he's coming off a long layoff and didn't particularly look good in his last match against Tyson Fury when he lost his titles. Wlad just did not look his normal self against Tyson for whatever reason (Age? Lack of motivation? Took Tyson too lightly?) and that was just a poor match in general. So with the long layoff I think it'll be harder in the beginning of this match for Wlad because of ring rust & Anthony's energy, but the longer the match goes the better it'll be for Wlad as Anthony's never gone past 7 rounds. Though with their power & questionable jaws, it may just come down to who can land cleanly first. All in all, I think (smartly) hunting for the early KO is Joshua's best chance while Klitschko's best chance is to use his skills to outbox Joshua & take him into later rounds. Again, either one of them can end the match at anytime with one good, clean punch. We'll see next weekend.... :)
DannyBoy

Postby dhartnet » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:47 pm

peter yates wrote:Hi Dave,
i am right with you there.Boxing was something i always looked forward to in the past but it has been a while since something stirred me up. If they both have done their preparation and are in the best condition they can be it should be a terrific fight. Hope Julie,yourself and the girls are all doing well, not to forget Luna of course.
Regards, Peter.

Peter, thank you, all are well and say hello. (My girls know who you are by our photos together).
I hope you and your Mrs. are well also!
---------
~Dave
dhartnet

Postby sticksb » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 am

dhartnet wrote:2 giants (literally) going toe to toe, boxing is so boring these days, but fights like this get me excited just a little bit. I miss the old days (to me) of heavyweight boxing, Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Shavers, Holmes, etc, etc.. Looking FWD to this one.
70s & 80s best competitive heavyweight & light heavyweight action .
Going back to old You-tube videos you get a sense of how skilled fighters like Quarry , Shavers and a host of others
were . 2-3-4 punch combinations , inside pressure and footwork all the basics were there . Old trainers , Futch , Dundee , Duva , Clancy had stables of great fighters in many divisions . Rankings meant something then . Today
nada ...
sticksb

Postby peter yates » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:09 pm

So a win for Joshua but by no means an easy one.Could have gone either way.I am sure Joshua learned a lot from the old man.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby sticksb » Mon May 01, 2017 11:32 pm

Brought up on YouTube while still warm same night . Great battle between two
beautifully conditioned fighters . Old school ebb and flow , outside of the absence
of strategic footwork ( skilled side to side cut off ) a pleasant surprise for this era .
sticksb

Postby peter yates » Tue May 02, 2017 5:20 pm

There is now talk of a rematch and that too could go either way. My thinking though is it is now Joshua's time and although it would be possible for Klitschko to win the next fight he may end up leaving the sport in a not so glorious manner, either with Joshua or another hungry fighter. If he chooses to retire now it would certainly be on a high point as he came to the ring in top condition and gave a great performance. I feel he is the best opponent Joshua has faced to date and was a real test of his metal.I am sure some lessens were learned that he will put to good use in future fights.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates
peter yates

Postby DannyBoy » Sun May 07, 2017 8:03 am

What a fight! Anthony Joshua vs. Wladimir Klitschko turned out to be the best heavyweight fight in years, probably since Wlad's older brother Vitali fought Lennox Lewis back in 2003. I can't help but feel Wlad could've stopped Anthony in the 6th or 7th if he hadn't taken his foot off the pedal, that was really one of those times when things might've been different if Wlad still had Manny Steward in his corner. In any case, Anthony showed a lot of heart & determination to come back and eventually stop Wlad in the 11th. Congratulations to him. I think a rematch would be great & certainly lucrative, but I don't know if it's gonna happen because Anthony now has a mandatory defense of his IBF World Heavyweight Title that has to be made against Kubrat Pulev. So either he does that or he's gonna have to drop the IBF title, it's his choice of course so I guess it depends on how much he wants to keep the title. Whatever he does, there's probably a big title unification bout between Joshua and WBC World Heavyweight Titlist Deontay Wilder on the horizon.

peter yates wrote:There is now talk of a rematch and that too could go either way. My thinking though is it is now Joshua's time and although it would be possible for Klitschko to win the next fight he may end up leaving the sport in a not so glorious manner, either with Joshua or another hungry fighter. If he chooses to retire now it would certainly be on a high point as he came to the ring in top condition and gave a great performance. I feel he is the best opponent Joshua has faced to date and was a real test of his metal.I am sure some lessens were learned that he will put to good use in future fights.
Regards,Peter.

Oh no doubt about that, Wlad is far & away Joshua's best opponent & biggest win to date.
DannyBoy

Next

Return to Combat Arts and Sports