The Empire of illusion

Electoral process and election results in United States

Moderator: Harry Hayfield

sticksb

The Empire of illusion

Post by sticksb » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:57 pm

All isolationists & nationalists seem mobilized . It's an interconnected wave that looks
like it will sweep through Europe . Trump supporters (US) are starting to have their doubts
about electing him as his approval ratings are dropping daily . They voted for a face , a brand
without knowing any tangible policy positions . This coupled with the fact Clinton was an absolutely
terrible candidate have created a bleak and hostile atmosphere in the US.
The surly remnants of the US middle class are waiting for a sea of manufacturing jobs to
reappear and repopulate the rust belt . These jobs (in my opinion) will never come back . They
are gone via reengineering and conversion to digital robotics . This will engulf even the lowest paying
service jobs still available . The drama will begin to show when Trump supporters start to realize this
no matter how much spin and deregulation the new admin throws at it . This realization has started
early and the rumbling will be heard globally.

Mobster

Re: The Empire of illusion

Post by Mobster » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 am

Avoiding politics for a moment. One line about robotics reminds me of something.

So, back in the late 70's when I was in my last 2 years of what you'd call high school my school library was lucky in that it had a few Time Life books. Heck, some of the same predictions were in various sci-fi books too. They all hinted at a robotic / automated future. They suggested, more positively, 'more leisure time'. However, that only works if the population stays small. Instead, as we know, it doesn't quite work like that. Then, as I have, we moan when we get paid (as I do) minimum wage working for Amazon (claims of 'treats its workers like robots' lol).

Harry Hayfield

Post by Harry Hayfield » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:22 am

sticksb wrote:All isolationists & nationalists seem mobilized . It's an interconnected wave that looks
like it will sweep through Europe . Trump supporters (US) are starting to have their doubts
about electing him as his approval ratings are dropping daily . They voted for a face , a brand
without knowing any tangible policy positions . This coupled with the fact Clinton was an absolutely
terrible candidate have created a bleak and hostile atmosphere in the US.
The surly remnants of the US middle class are waiting for a sea of manufacturing jobs to
reappear and repopulate the rust belt . These jobs (in my opinion) will never come back . They
are gone via reengineering and conversion to digital robotics . This will engulf even the lowest paying
service jobs still available . The drama will begin to show when Trump supporters start to realize this
no matter how much spin and deregulation the new admin throws at it . This realization has started
early and the rumbling will be heard globally.
I shall mention this when I talk about the elections scheduled this year in continental Europe (France, Germany, Holland, Serbia, Slovenia and possibly Italy as well) but it all depends on the electoral system being used as to whether those nationalists hold any sway. For instance, in 2015, the Scottish National Party (seeking Scottish Independence), Plaid Cymru (Welsh independence) and Sinn Fein (seeking a united independent Ireland) polled 1,812,372 votes between them (5.90% of the total popular vote) and won 63 seats (9.69%) of the total seats in Westminster.

At the last parliamentary elections in France, the Front Nationale polled 3,528,373 votes (14%) in the first round and 842,684 votes (4%) in the second round which only saw two MP's elected to France's National Assembly. The most recent German polls suggest that the "Alternative for Germany" party will poll 11% of the vote (and win around 80 seats out of a 631 seat Parliament), Holland's Party for Freedom (led by the nationalist Geert Wilders) polled 10% in the 2012 general election to win 15 seats and is currently polling 29% (suggesting 44 seats) but well short of a majority and therefore would not be able to govern (as no party wishes to join them in a coalition). All of this means that nationalism exists, yes, but will never get very far due to other viewpoints reining nationalism in at election time
"Great heavens, what is there to adulate in me? Am I particularly intelligent, or remarkably studious, or excruciatingly witty, or unusually accomplished, or exceptionally virtuous?"
(The Duke of Dunstable, Patience by Gilbert and Sullivan)

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 am

Harry Hayfield wrote:All of this means that nationalism exists, yes, but will never get very far due to other viewpoints reining nationalism in at election time
It did in the US after every major poll had Hillary
winning in landslide fashion . Of course it has yet to be determined Uncle Vladdie's role in the whole mess .

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:01 pm

Meaningful work , fair compensation and social/ economic benefits could be enhanced
by robotic production but they won't be if it resides only in the hands of the global/financial elite.
At the heart of most of the world's problems are too many people and not enough resources . Equal
distribution , respect for the earth's ecosystem and compassion for the poor and displaced are not
high on the priorities list of the banking interests that have purchased their way into the halls of
government in the so called FREE world .
Robotics will be used to garner further profits for the rich rather then enhance the lives of
average citizens .

Mobster

Post by Mobster » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:09 am

sticksb wrote:Meaningful work , fair compensation and social/ economic benefits could be enhanced
by robotic production but they won't be if it resides only in the hands of the global/financial elite.
At the heart of most of the world's problems are too many people and not enough resources . Equal
distribution , respect for the earth's ecosystem and compassion for the poor and displaced are not
high on the priorities list of the banking interests that have purchased their way into the halls of
government in the so called FREE world .
Robotics will be used to garner further profits for the rich rather then enhance the lives of
average citizens .
It's not that high on most peoples agenda. They might say it is but that's not true. Just the too many people thing can be taken into consideration. There is zero need for any more people on the planet yet we continue to add to the total. We know it exceeds what we can feed but we add. Look at how the West considered the Chinese policy of one child. And in spite of knowing it makes sense we'd be in uproar if any Western politician suggested it.

To expect those driven by power or money to consider those with none is asking a lot of any politician or party.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Many people in the past have warned about the looming disaster of overpopulation
(Dr. Paul Erhlich) back 40 years ago . When this was first being trumpeted (no pun)
it might also have been tipping point time . Under the increasing weight the world
squirms and a few geo politicos cash in and hunker down ...