The Physical Culture & Iron Game Picture Thread

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

DannyBoy

The Physical Culture & Iron Game Picture Thread

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:00 am

Many forums have a picture thread and I'd been thinking about starting one here, so this morning I decided to go ahead and do it. This is the place to (randomly) post pictures you like, were inspired/influenced by &/or maybe just wanna share which are related to physical culture and the iron game, but may or may not relate to or fit into a previous or future thread or subject matter discussed on this forum. Post pictures of bodybuilders, strongmen, powerlifters, weightlifters, hand balancers/acrobats/gymnasts, weights, equipment, apparatuses and so on. Be the pictures from a competition setting, an intimate setting, a photo shoot or whatever, it's all good. Include multiple pictures per post if you choose. Anyway, I think you all get the idea. :)

I'll start the thread off with a picture of one of my favorite bodybuilders, Bill Pearl, performing one of my favorite exercises, a seated barbell overhead press.

peter yates

Re: The Physical Culture & Iron Game Picture Thread

Post by peter yates » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:20 am

HI DANNY,
STERLING IDEA AND AWESOME PHOTO TO START THINGS OFF.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:45 am

^Thank you Peter!

Here's a rare picture I came across just yesterday; George Redpath doing a flag variation with the very first Mr. America, Bert Goodrich.

Interesting bit of info: Bill Pearl's old gym on Manchester Boulevard in South Central Los Angeles was originally founded by George Redpath in 1949 and was one of the first co-ed gyms.
Image Image

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Bill March wasn't a small man, but standing between Paul Anderson and Terry Todd kinda made him look small.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:56 am

HI DANNY,
YES SIZE IS ALL RELATIVE. GREAT PHOTO THOUGH.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:52 pm

Steve Reeves clearly would've made a great Superman!

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:24 pm

Keeping with the superhero theme, here's 1928 heavyweight AAU National Weightlifting Champion Tom Tyler as Captain Marvel in 1941.

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:45 am

freddy ortiz.jpg
freddy ortiz.jpg (35.86 KiB) Viewed 8967 times
Im reluctant to post a picture after that jaw-dropping one of Bill Pearl doing press. But how about this one! :D
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:31 am

colinkbell wrote:
freddy ortiz.jpg
Im reluctant to post a picture after that jaw-dropping one of Bill Pearl doing press. But how about this one! :D
Freddy Ortiz & Larry Scott, that's great Colin. It's beyond me how Freddy Ortiz never managed to win a major bodybuilding title, he won his height class in some contests, but never the overall title (at least not according to results I've seen).

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:11 am

DannyBoy wrote:
colinkbell wrote:
freddy ortiz.jpg
Freddy Ortiz & Larry Scott, that's great Colin. It's beyond me how Freddy Ortiz never managed to win a major bodybuilding title, he won his height class in some contests, but never the overall title (at least not according to results I've seen).
Yes i read a very sad interview with Freddy which revealed how disillusioned he became with BB and its steroids and turned his back on the whole thing. Sad that legends like him get " pushed out". I know someone over here who was a superb genuine natural bodybuilder who went the same route. I really hate what steroids have done, i really do. :(
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3