The Physical Culture & Iron Game Picture Thread

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

Talbot

Re: The Physical Culture & Iron Game Picture Thread

Post by Talbot » Mon May 08, 2017 6:51 pm

Peter is right, use light Indian Clubs, before you try Persian Clubs. Your shoulders are the most flexible joints in your body. And easily damaged from poor training. Most training doesn't exercise the shoulders in all of their possible positions. Not so with Indian Clubs, if you check out the old Indian Club course on this website, then you will see that doing all the exercises, you will use the shoulders at every possible angle.

One pound Indian Clubs don't seem like much, however with the length, and bulge at the end, it makes it a leverage move throughout the range of motion. Once you get the exercises down, you can begin to go slower and keeping the speed of your movements constant, contracting your muscles throughout the movement a bit, for a greater isokinetic contraction.

It takes time to develop strength by any exercise, but it's not a race, it's a journey. You'll get there, and learn a lot along the way. Enjoy the trip.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Tue May 09, 2017 5:44 pm

peter yates wrote:No Danny, i have never used the heavy clubs.The heaviest i have are 3lb and believe me they are a workout in themselves.However my purpose in using the clubs is shoulder health maintainance not building strength. I would encourage anyone interested in the heavy work to first develop some skill with the lighter clubs.
Regards,Peter.
Talbot wrote:Peter is right, use light Indian Clubs, before you try Persian Clubs. Your shoulders are the most flexible joints in your body. And easily damaged from poor training. Most training doesn't exercise the shoulders in all of their possible positions. Not so with Indian Clubs, if you check out the old Indian Club course on this website, then you will see that doing all the exercises, you will use the shoulders at every possible angle.

One pound Indian Clubs don't seem like much, however with the length, and bulge at the end, it makes it a leverage move throughout the range of motion. Once you get the exercises down, you can begin to go slower and keeping the speed of your movements constant, contracting your muscles throughout the movement a bit, for a greater isokinetic contraction.

It takes time to develop strength by any exercise, but it's not a race, it's a journey. You'll get there, and learn a lot along the way. Enjoy the trip.
Oh yeah I understand you guys, it only makes sense to start off with light clubs and work your way up to the heavier ones. I really don't know if/when I may get into training with clubs at this point, but on the subject of light clubs, I have seen Persian clubs weighing as little as 1lb/2lb/3lb. :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed May 10, 2017 6:40 am

Hi Danny,
well the best weight to start with is 1lb as you can then really get the moves down smoothly and fluidly. A few minutes of light work will really have you feeling it believe me. My own take on it is we have the dumbbells and kettlebells to build shoulder strength and size whereas the Persian wrestlers relied a lot on using the heavier clubs for strength building. I use the clubs as warm ups and cool downs for heavy pressing work and as active rest on non training days, mainly for shoulder health, flexibility and stability. Also if you do try them seek training advise from older writings as some of the stuff on youtube is often just made up.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed May 10, 2017 11:23 pm

peter yates wrote:Hi Danny,
well the best weight to start with is 1lb as you can then really get the moves down smoothly and fluidly. A few minutes of light work will really have you feeling it believe me. My own take on it is we have the dumbbells and kettlebells to build shoulder strength and size whereas the Persian wrestlers relied a lot on using the heavier clubs for strength building. I use the clubs as warm ups and cool downs for heavy pressing work and as active rest on non training days, mainly for shoulder health, flexibility and stability. Also if you do try them seek training advise from older writings as some of the stuff on youtube is often just made up.
Regards,Peter.
Thanks Peter! Have you ever been to this website? INDIAN CLUBS and how to use them - Wooden Indian Clubs, Persian Mil, Indian Jori and Gada Mace

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:59 am

HOPC Facebook post:

Bodybuilding legend and 3x NABBA Mr. Universe Reg Park as Hercules.

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:09 am

HOPC Facebook post:

Édouard Carpentier (1926-2010) of France, a member of the French gymnastics team at both the 1948 Olympic Games in London and the 1952 Olympic Games in Helsinki. Later he became a major star & draw in professional wrestling during the 1950s & 60s and won the NWA World Heavyweight Championship during his career. Carpentier had also fought in the French resistance during World War II and was awarded the Croix de Guerre & the Croix du combattant medals by the French government at the close of the war.

colinkbell

Post by colinkbell » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:38 am

Great pics!
" Strengthen ye the weak hands and confirm the feeble knees" Isaiah 35 v3

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:55 pm

A very happy 85th birthday to the legendary William Smith, I wish him many more! :)

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:54 am

Thanks Danny,
always one of my favorites. Good actor and the type of rugged, athletic physique i favor, plus a pretty good looking guy. Certainly not all brawn and no brains as he spoke several languages.Wishing him a very happy birthday.
Regards,Peter.
Peter Yates

David Gentle

Post by David Gentle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:52 am

I have to make a confession, despite writing now and then in the various topics, i had never read the Physical Culture and Iron Game Picture Thread, dont know why, just let it slide by. Today was the first look i have taken of it and wow, i didnt realise just how interesting and well illustrated it is. it was really was enjoyable. So my message to me and others, is do take a browse around the site just to see whats on offer, we have so many treasures its hard to appreciate them all, sometimes we dont see what is in front of our eyes, hidden in full view. Thanks for those who contrirbuted , most enjoyable. David Gentle
David Gentle
Chief Moderator
Author & Historian,
Physical Culture
https://davidgentle.com