Steroids of Bodybuilding's Golden Era

Join the Discussion Group! We invite you to share your comments, insights and questions on the History of Physical Culture.

Moderator: peter yates

DannyBoy

Steroids of Bodybuilding's Golden Era

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:55 am

I came across this video from a few months ago, in it Andreas Cahling (1980 IFBB Mr. International) speaks quite candidly & thoroughly about the steroids used during bodybuilding's golden era. I've personally never had any interest in steroids, but I still found this video pretty intriguing & informative, Andreas seems very knowledgeable on the subject. Cahling's one my favorite bodybuilders from the 70's/80's, so I appreciate his honesty & being upfront about the matter.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgr2_yCskB4[/video]

I find it kinda shocking that in Sweden back in the day you could just walk into a pharmacy and get Dianabol without even a prescription, but for all I know it was like that in other countries as well. :shock:

Mobster

Re: Steroids of Bodybuilding's Golden Era

Post by Mobster » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:28 am

Said drugs were used for other reasons (anemia for example) hence being over the counter (Greece and Spain too).

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:33 am

Mobster wrote:Said drugs were used for other reasons (anemia for example) hence being over the counter (Greece and Spain too).
Good point. I was actually prescribed some kind of steroid back years ago when I was a kid (probably 11 or 12 years old) after I'd gotten second degree sunburns on my shoulders that caused big nasty blisters because I'd been out playing in my swimming pool for hours without wearing any sunscreen lotion (a mistake I never made again). Anyway, I guess that just goes to show just how little I know/understand about steroids in general.

peter yates

Post by peter yates » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:19 am

HI DANNY,
THIS IS KIND OF DEPRESSING.HOW THE WHOLE PHYSICAL CULTURE LIFESTYLE CHANGED TO A BODYBUILDING LIFESTYLE WHERE HEALTH TOOK A BACK SEAT. WHILE HE MENTIONS WHAT WAS BEING USED HE DOES NOT ACTUALLY SAY HE USED ANYTHING HIMSELF THOUGH IT IS IMPLIED. I KNOW HE WAS A PARTIAL VEGETARIAN EATING EGGS AND DRINKING MILK SO THOUGHT HE WOULD BE MORE INTO HEALTH. HE LOOKS LIKE HE MAY HAVE HAD A STROKE FROM THE DISTORTION IN HIS MOUTH. HOWEVER HE STILL LOOKS IN GOOD CONDITION FROM RECENT PHOTOS.THEN AGAIN A LOT OF BODYBUILDERS DO LOOK OK ON THE OUTSIDE. WHEN I WAS IN THAILAND I GOT A ROOM NEXT DOOR TO THIS GUY WHO HAD A HOME MADE GYM IN HIS YARD. I WENT ROUND AND HE INVITED ME TO TRAIN WITH HIM. HE SAID HE HAD BEEN THIRD IN A MR. THAILAND CONTEST AND WAS PRETTY WELL BUILT. HE NO LONGER COMPETED. ONE DAY HE SURPRISED ME BY SAYING I COULD GET BIGGER IF I TOOK A COMBINATION OF DIANABOL AND HOFFMAN'S HIGH PROTEIN. APPARENTLY THAT WAS THE NORM FOR COMPETING THAI BODYBUILDERS. NEEDLESS TO SAY I DID NOT TAKE HIM UP ON HIS OFFER. MY INTEREST AS ALWAYS BEEN TO FOCUS ON HEALTH FIRST NOW I AM IN MY SIXTIES I AM SEEING THE BENEFIT.
REGARDS, PETER.
Peter Yates

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:54 pm

peter yates wrote:HI DANNY,
THIS IS KIND OF DEPRESSING.HOW THE WHOLE PHYSICAL CULTURE LIFESTYLE CHANGED TO A BODYBUILDING LIFESTYLE WHERE HEALTH TOOK A BACK SEAT. WHILE HE MENTIONS WHAT WAS BEING USED HE DOES NOT ACTUALLY SAY HE USED ANYTHING HIMSELF THOUGH IT IS IMPLIED. I KNOW HE WAS A PARTIAL VEGETARIAN EATING EGGS AND DRINKING MILK SO THOUGHT HE WOULD BE MORE INTO HEALTH. HE LOOKS LIKE HE MAY HAVE HAD A STROKE FROM THE DISTORTION IN HIS MOUTH. HOWEVER HE STILL LOOKS IN GOOD CONDITION FROM RECENT PHOTOS.THEN AGAIN A LOT OF BODYBUILDERS DO LOOK OK ON THE OUTSIDE. WHEN I WAS IN THAILAND I GOT A ROOM NEXT DOOR TO THIS GUY WHO HAD A HOME MADE GYM IN HIS YARD. I WENT ROUND AND HE INVITED ME TO TRAIN WITH HIM. HE SAID HE HAD BEEN THIRD IN A MR. THAILAND CONTEST AND WAS PRETTY WELL BUILT. HE NO LONGER COMPETED. ONE DAY HE SURPRISED ME BY SAYING I COULD GET BIGGER IF I TOOK A COMBINATION OF DIANABOL AND HOFFMAN'S HIGH PROTEIN. APPARENTLY THAT WAS THE NORM FOR COMPETING THAI BODYBUILDERS. NEEDLESS TO SAY I DID NOT TAKE HIM UP ON HIS OFFER. MY INTEREST AS ALWAYS BEEN TO FOCUS ON HEALTH FIRST NOW I AM IN MY SIXTIES I AM SEEING THE BENEFIT.
REGARDS, PETER.
I totally hear you Peter, I myself am far more interested in & focused on good health than in using any chemical means to get hugely muscular or super ripped or what not. I've never been the least bit interested in taking steroids and am happy to just work with the genetics that I was born & blessed with. If I wanted to be a competitive professional bodybuilder (which I don't), I'd never get far because I'm simply not willing to do what it takes to make it as a bodybuilder these days. I do appreciate Andreas Cahling's candor on the subject of steroids though, he doesn't shy away from or try to avoid the topic like a lot of bodybuilders (from then & now) seem to, he talks openly about them regularly. Andreas doesn't try to keep his use of steroids a secret nor deny anything or whatever, but as you mentioned he didn't explicitly say he used anything himself in this video.

As for the distortion of Andreas' mouth, he's never had a stroke, what it was is that he had a very unusual tumor removed from a facial nerve well over a decade ago. It had grown really close to his brain so he opted for surgery to remove it and his face looks the way it does now as a result of that. He says that he never suffered physically before the surgery or since. Anyway, I certainly have no idea what could be going on on the inside, but Andreas definitely still looks great physically and I think he may still be interested in competing in contests. I do know that he's been doing some acting work as of late; he portrayed Thor in a short action/comedy film called Kung Fury that was released earlier this year and he's in an upcoming Swedish fantasy/horror movie called Legend of Dark Rider scheduled to be released next year.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 pm

When I powerlifted in a contest in upstate N.Y. I found myself in the company of a national
champion power lifter who told me, "you're a good lifter , you could be a great lifter with the
right training aids". He was selling wraps and belts at the show but that's not what he meant.
I overheard him having this same conversation with several other guys who placed at the meet.
He had low dose caplet bottles of dianabol in the bottom of the satchel he brought to the warm up
area . I couldn't have cracked the top three in my weight class if I owned Upjohn inc. !
To use was a dangerous decision back then(1970s) because there was almost no science or medical
support behind any steroid usage . If a little worked guys would take more . If it didn't work as hoped
guys would take more . The salesman couldn't lose as there's always a lot of gullible lifters and
bodybuilders . I decided not to be one of them , which at the time was tough because I was all about
lifting . I shifted over to designing equipment and training just to stay in shape which I enjoy to this day.
Staying functional is my over riding concern . I'm glad I saw the juice as a conflict of interest in the quest
for health and strength .

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:47 am

sticksb wrote:When I powerlifted in a contest in upstate N.Y. I found myself in the company of a national
champion power lifter who told me, "you're a good lifter , you could be a great lifter with the
right training aids". He was selling wraps and belts at the show but that's not what he meant.
I overheard him having this same conversation with several other guys who placed at the meet.
He had low dose caplet bottles of dianabol in the bottom of the satchel he brought to the warm up
area . I couldn't have cracked the top three in my weight class if I owned Upjohn inc. !
To use was a dangerous decision back then(1970s) because there was almost no science or medical
support behind any steroid usage . If a little worked guys would take more . If it didn't work as hoped
guys would take more . The salesman couldn't lose as there's always a lot of gullible lifters and
bodybuilders . I decided not to be one of them , which at the time was tough because I was all about
lifting . I shifted over to designing equipment and training just to stay in shape which I enjoy to this day.
Staying functional is my over riding concern . I'm glad I saw the juice as a conflict of interest in the quest
for health and strength .
I think that was a very wise view and I believe that's exactly how I would have seen it & that I would've made the same decision as you. It seems to me that taking steroids was a personal choice that many/most bodybuilders & strength athletes were faced with at some point back then (& certainly still are); some felt as you did & made the same choice as you, some made the choice to take steroids against their better judgement, and some made the choice to take steroids without any hesitation or a worry in the world. I suppose it's like the old saying: "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do".

Did any of the other competitors at the contest that day take the national champion powerlifter up on his offer?

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:09 am

He was charged with drug felonies several years later . As for purchase by fellow competitors , not my
business . It's entirely a personal decision . My bubble was burst competitively so I moved on .

DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:26 am

sticksb wrote:He was charged with drug felonies several years later . As for purchase by fellow competitors , not my
business . It's entirely a personal decision . My bubble was burst competitively so I moved on .
I gotcha. Who was the national champion powerlifter? Or if that's not something you care to divulge, I understand.

sticksb

Post by sticksb » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:30 am

Past history . The guy's a hall of fame icon . Multiple world titles . What good would it do anyone to know ?
The people who governed the sport knew and did nothing really . That brought down the curtain on my
lifting career. I salvaged my enjoyment and moved on .